- 350g Medium Prawns, tails removed
- Oil (any of choice)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, whole
- 1 tbsp Ginger, finely chopped
- 1 Large Red Onion, finely diced
- 1-2 Green Chilli’s, stalks removed
- 400ml Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Tamarind Water
- 1 tbsp Coriander Power
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds + extra for Garnish
- Fresh Coriander leaves for Garnish
- Salt to taste
- In a mixer blend together to paste like consistency – garlic, 1 green chilli, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin seeds and a plash of tamarind water.
- In a large pan heat some oil. Cook the ginger, onion and whole green chilli (optional) until onion gets soft and translucent.
- Add the paste prepared earlier into the pan and cook for a few minutes or until fragrant.
- Next add tamarind water and a little extra water washing out the blender you made the paste in. Cook for about 5 mins with a lid.
- Add the prawns and cook well, stirring occasionally to make sure it does not stick.
- Once the prawns are almost cooked, pour in all the coconut milk and just bring it to a boil.
- Add some more turmeric powder for colour (if required). Take off heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and Cumin seeds. Best served with steamed Basmati Rice!